2018 North Coast BDX

Price for The Locals Club Members $52.00

Wine Club Members Price: $52

Tasting Notes: Smooth and complex with hints of tree leaves and star of anise. Sweet, rich and fruit forward, long and silky tannins.
Food Pairings: Leaner meats such as duck or pork. For a vegeterian option, try roasted potatoes, mushrooms or a lentil dish.

724 in stock

Technical

Harvest Date: Sept. 21th – Sept. 29th 2015
Fermentation: 30 Days
Aging: 12 months in stainless steel
ML: 0%
Wine Composition: 68% Merlot, 22% Cab Sauv, 5% Cab Franc, 2% Malbec, 2% Petit Verdot
Barrels Produced: 1028 cases
pH: 3.30
Alcohol: 14.9%
Acid: 6.4g/L

Vinification

This is the wine our Winemaker’s always have the most fun with!  Although the Merlot and Cabernet Sauvignon are from different vineyards, the fruit was picked on the same day. After the fruit was destemmed & processed in San Diego, we then co-fermented the two varietals together. At Carruth, we usually ferment our wines separately and then blend them together before bottling, but in this case we combined the Merlot & Cab Sauv and fermented them together which helps create a more cohesive blend. After pressing, a couple barrels of the co-fermented Merlot & Cab Sauv were aged in new French Oak, as well as the Cabernet Franc & Petit Verdot. This resulted in about 20% of the blend, while the remaining 80% was aged in once-used. All barrels were then blended and bottled in September 2020.

Awards
Falstaff​:
92/100 Austria
Daniele Cernilli:
94/100 Italy
Gambero Rosso​:
Tre bicchieri Italy